8 Quick Summer DIY Projects
Make use of dried flowers, beach glass and other inexpensive materials to give your home a welcoming touch
- Position the stencil of your choice on the doormat and secure it with tape. You may need to experiment to find tape that will adhere to your mat — if lighter tapes aren’t doing the trick, try duct tape.
- Paint, using a bristle brush or a foam brush; allow to dry between coats. You may need two or three coats for full coverage and vibrant color.
- Let the paint dry completely before removing the stencil.
Tip: Transform clear bottles into a colorful display by swirling craft paint inside them after they’ve been cleaned and dried. Pour out the excess and let dry — the paint color will show through the glass.
- Cover the cork or foam core with the fabric of your choice, securing it on the back with glue or duct tape.
- Remove the glass from the frame and replace it with the fabric-covered cork or foam core.
- Use T-pins to hang your favorite necklaces and earrings.
Tip: When shopping for vintage metal trays to repurpose, bring along a small magnet to test the surface before you buy.
Tip: Want to speed things along? Instead of taking new photos, look through your backlog of digital photos, earmarking ones that feature the color of your choice. Print, hang and, voilà, you’re done!
- Start with an embroidery hoop, or create your own circle from flexible wire.
- Cut equal-length pieces of yarn and then knot each one in the middle to attach to the hoop.
- Repeat until the piece is as full as you’d like.
- Hang it on a small hook to display.
Tell us: What DIY project are you most proud of? Share a photo in the Comments!