Don’t Forget to File Homestead Exemption

As a new property owner, you are required to pay property taxes on your real estate. It is taxed each year by a variety of jurisdictions including the county, city and school district. As a 2017 purchaser, you need to notify the taxing authorities of your ownership so that the tax rolls will reflect the change. This should have occurred automatically when the title company recorded your deed after closing but your should check to make sure your appraisal district changed the records. Go to the websites listed below; type in your address to confirm change of ownership, as well as, download the form needed to file homestead.

Some forms might need to be notarized. (See below) I provide free notary services for my clients.

Appraisal District
Collin County – 972.578.5200 –

Dallas County – 214.631.0910 –

Denton County – 940.349.3800 –

Ellis County – 972.937.3552 –

Kaufman County – 972-932-6081 –

Rockwall County – 972.771.2034 –

Tarrant County – 817.284.0024 –

In order to qualify for a residential homestead exemption you must provide the Central Appraisal District the information they require. Each jurisdiction is unique in their requirements, some are listed below. Go online or call to get details.

Most will require a copy of the applicant’s Texas driver’s license or Texas identification certificate that reflects the new property address

2017 Tax Exemptions
On January 1, 2018, ownership, legal description of the property and exemption status of the taxpayer is determined. Several forms of tax relief are available which may reduce the taxable value of your property. Applying for exemptions is the taxpayer’s responsibility.

General Residence Homestead Exemption

  • Require notary in some counties, not Dallas, Collin, Denton, Rockwall
    • Age 65 or Older Exemption
  • Requires notary in most counties
    • Disabled Person Exemption
  • Requires notary in most counties
    • Disables Veteran Exemption
  • Requires notary in most counties
    • Agriculture Land Exemption

To receive your homestead exemption(s), you must own the property and be living in the property as of January 1, 2018. Your application must be applied for on or before April 29, 2018 to receive the tax benefits for this year. This is a FREE service.

The other exemptions start on the day you notify the tax authority of said change. (ie. the day you turn 65)

Please do not hesitate to call if you have any question or concern. As always, we are here to assist you in all your Real Estate needs.


Leave a Reply