Fight Your Taxes

It’s tax time. Because I am not from the government, I am here to help if you need to protest your property’s appraised value and suggest HOW to file a protest should you decide to do so. Some guidelines to consider: is the proposed value too high, is the value comparable with the other properties in the area, is the value higher that you paid in 2016 or 2017 or have you been denied an exemption? The right to protest is one of the most important rights you have as a taxpayer.

Appraisal District

Collin County – 972.578.5200 –
Dallas County – 214.631.0910 –
Denton County – 940.349.3800 –
Ellis County – 972.937.3552 –
Kaufman County – 972-932-6081 –
Rockwall County – 972.771.2034 –
Tarrant County – 817.284.0024 –

Fight Your Taxes

Let’s first look at specific deadlines you will want to be aware of. Appraised value notices will be mailed out around May 1st. If your property is located in Dallas, Collin, or Denton County, the protest deadline is May 31st or 30 days after notice has been delivered.

Whether you live in Dallas, Collin or Denton counties the protest process will be the same. The protest must be in writting, and must identify the property owner, the subject property and the specific dissatisfaction with the appraisal. Your protest can be mailed or delivered, but must be filed on time. Once the written protest is received, a hearing will be scheduled. The appraisal districts require specific documentation to be brought to the protest hearing by the property owner.

One of the following must be submitted: signed and dated closing statement showing sales price lower than evaluation (if the sale of the home occurred in 2016, 2017 or 2018); Proof of physical or economic obsolescence would require signed and attested repair estimates from contractors, along with photographs or sales of comparable properties with dates, sales prices and photographs (I can provide comparable sales data for you)

Most of the time your protest can be resolved with a staff member of the appraisal district in an informal manner. But if your protest cannot be resolved informally, then it will be heard in a formal setting by the ARB (appraisal review board). The ARB is a group of citizens who are authorized to resolve disputes between appraisal districts and taxpayers. The decision reached by the ARB is binding for the current tax year unless you appeal to District Court.

Don’t hesitate to call me if I can assist you in any way. If you know of someone who would also appreciate my services, please call me with their name and number. It would be my pleasure to help them too!

Leave a Reply