Virtual field trips are a great way to expose kids to new places all from the comfort of home. In this age of technology, so many museums, zoos and aquariums have set up virtual tours and webcams of their facilities. Now more than ever, is it easier to visit destinations around the world from the comfort of your couch.
In light of recent events, families are finding themselves in the position of not only being at home with their children for an extended period of time, but educating them as well. Unlike a school vacation, places like zoos, aquariums and museums are closed in an effort to keep people from congregating. Travel is also on hold. Virtual field trips are a fun and educational way to visit places virtually and keep “travel” going.
I’ve rounded up 20 virtual field trips that you can take with your kids. There are also lesson ideas, activities and book suggestions to extend the learning for each type of destination.
Visit some of the best art galleries in the world virtually. From Paris to New York to Amsterdam, kids can see priceless works of art from the world’s most famous artists.
- Louvre Museum, Paris https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- National Gallery of Art, Washington DC https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-gallery-of-art-washington-dc?hl=en
- Metropolitan Museum of Art https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-metropolitan-museum-of-art
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/van-gogh-museum?hl=en
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence Italy https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/uffizi-gallery?hl=en
ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
- Choose a favorite painting or sculpture and create a copycat piece of art.
- Research an artist. This is a great book about some amazing artists kids should know about https://amzn.to/38QWQGf (affiliate link).
- Choose a piece of art to focus on. Describe it, tell why you chose it and how it makes you feel.
- Choose 2 works of art to compare.
This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small percentage of purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting us!