What is Explore Plano?
Explore Plano is the City of Plano’s exclusive checklist of the coolest things going on across Plano during Summer ‘17. At each stop, there will be a photo challenge that leads to the opportunity to win prizes. Explore Plano runs June 1-August 31. At the Explore Plano website, all of the challenges are listed out by month, and most of the challenges are completely free!
This Week’s #ExplorePlano Challenge:
Let’s be honest, it’s been a scorcher this summer. A lot of us have spent way too much quality time with our BFFs A/C and Netflix. You might find yourself suddenly getting the hankering for a little journey out into the wild (and we’re not talking about a hot sale at The Shops at Willow Bend). If you’re hoping to be nurtured by nature, the City of Plano has you covered with the Nature Explore Garden at the Environmental Education Center (EEC).
The Nature Explore Garden was created to educate children about nature by combining the outdoors and the environment with other skills like math, literature, music, language and art. Visitors can crawl through a tunnel like a worm, create music inspired by nature, hide in a chrysalis like a butterfly, bird-watch, hunt for recycled objects, weave natural objects and even count the rings on a giant tree cookie!
Afterwards, take a walk through the Environmental Education Center. Built in 2010, the EEC showcases green building design and features. Environmentalists and educators use the center to present workshops and lectures on various environmental topics. It’s open seven days a week during daylight hours and has standing exhibits on water conservation, green roofs and creating zero waste. You can also visit the Nature Explore Classroom to learn about gardening and recycling.
In a few weeks, the Nature Explore Trail will also open outdoors at the EEC. Visitors will find a pathway that leads them to observation locations along the creek, and an elevated boardwalk that brings them in close proximity to the water. The trail and its signage will teach visitors what a water shed is and how to protect it, as well as about the diversity of species in the riparian habitat and food chain.
How To Win Cool Stuff:
- Take a pic of yourself with an exhibit at the Nature Explore Garden and post to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter
- Be sure to use the hashtag #ExplorePlano
- The City of Plano will draw a winner (almost) every week, based on who uses the hashtag
- Winners will receive a mystery prize pack (which may include any of the following: theatre tickets, pool passes, recreation center passes, gift cards and more!)
Did You Know?
- The EEC can be rented for meetings, events, team buildings, etc.
- The EEC is a 2500-square-foot LEED Platinum building.
- The EEC has a living, “green” roof.
Courtesy of Explore Plano